Our coloring can change as we age



There is no one rule on how our colors change as we age. When we are young, our colors have more warm tones in the even though our dominant color characteristic is not warm. In the late years of our life we have lost most of the warm tones (not necessarily if our dominant color characteristic is warm) and our coloring becomes more and more cool. Having cool as the dominant color characteristic is not only for elderly people. Young people can also have cool colors as their dominant color characteristic. People seem to understand that either cool or warm colors work for them. It is a good start but just as important dominant color characteristics are light, deep, soft and clear.  It is best to find out your dominant characteristic and slide your colors from there. This way you make fewer mistakes in choosing colors at every age.

For example, when I was very young, my hair and skin were very light but my eyes were very dark. In those days nobody paid any attention to color. Right after the war, it was very fortunate to have clothes! Anyway, in my teens, my hair was brown, skin light and eyes dark brown. When I went to my first color training, my hair was dark brown, skin light and dark brown eyes. At that time I was told that I need to wear deep colors that were also clear and cool to match my deep coloring.  My hair began to change white when I was in my 30ies. It was only in my late 50ies that I finally let my gray hair take center stage in my appearance. By this time the coolness of my skin had also become cooler to match the white hair. Therefore my dominant color characteristic is now cool while the colors must still be clear and deep. The dominant color characteristic switched from one to the other while the others are still in the picture but with a lesser role.


Me today with my white hair

                                     

Comments