What an 11-old taught me about online marketing

https://www.instagram.com/lydiaandherpony/


My adult life has been about business and marketing and bringing businesses from the English speaking world to Finland. I am bilingual and spoke English to my daughter ever since she was born and when she also had a daughter, I spoke English to her as well. I remember that when speaking English to my daughter in public places in Finland 40 years ago, I had to whisper, because in those days it was frowned upon that another language was spoken to children. It was commonly thought that if you spoke more than one language to a child, they would end up being very confused. Therefore you should only speak the same language as everyone else was speaking, which was Finnish. 

To me that didn´t seem right because my family moved to Canada when I was young and all of us had to learn English while we also spoke Finnish at home. So I just went ahead and spoke English to my daughter when I was again living in Finland and as a result, my daughter has had a broader view of the world at her disposal all her life and I am very happy about that.

Today, my daughter lives in a Swedish speaking area of Finland with her family and her daughter is going to a Swedish speaking school, while she speaks Finnish at home and English with me. My granddaughter is now 11 years old and speaks three languages fluently and is teaching herself other languages online and constantly surprises me with konnitsheva, spasiba, vielen dank and many other words I need a translation for.  She is a wizard with everything online. She draws and photographs a lot and makes her own movies because she has been able to tap into the English world and learn so many things on what you can do with a computer, unlike many of her friends at school. 

This brings me back to my conversations with my father, who spoke five different languages because his parents were emigrants too. In those days, it was not common to be foreign in Finland but as children, we didn´t realize that we were, since my mother was Finnish and we had a very Finnish life. 

One day when I as in my teens, I was speaking with my father, who was a business man at the time and we were discussing what I want to do when I grow up. We touched on several subjects and my father was recommending different occupations to me on the basis of what his experience was. When I told him that I want to be a rock star and have a ranch by the sea, he laughed with tears in his eyes and said to me that it sounds very good but that is no way possible because, for one reason, what would I do when I was 50 years old and no one would be interested in hearing my music because I was so old?! He told me that nobody wants to hear old people sing rock and roll! 

Our parents are doing the best they can with the information they have accumulated during the time they were growing up and trying to make sense of the world. That world has always changed and always will with new people. It is difficult for anyone to know which advice they should take and which advice was going out of style fast. It is also very difficult for people, who have always given advice, to stop doing that and give room to young people, who are living in the present.

For quite a few years now, I have been focusing on different things just to stay in the game and to understand what is going on in the world, even though things have not fallen into place in a way I thought they would. It has often felt that I have been smashing my head against the wall doing things in the same way I have always done. 

I wrote a book because I had never written one and I was thinking that the information I was able to write about, would be of assistance to many people. Then I studied online with many of the best people out there who teach different seminars on marketing online, writing books, launching books and marketing them, doing online trainings, studying funnels, concept marketing, how to write blogs, made web pages and you name it. 

It is a big world out there and everyone is trying to coach everyone on everything. Nothing wrong with that but looking back, I think I went about everything in the old school way. I was doing my due diligence and reading up on everything I could find. 

Still, at the end of the day, I did not succeed in getting the attention of the people, I thought would benefit from what I had to offer, to make a difference in their lives to have a better and a happier life. I had all that information and experience and integrity and it made no difference. Hardly anyone was interested. Mind boggling.

My daughter takes a lot of pictures of her life and posts them on social media and she has lots of followers and people interested in what she is doing and that is great. Her daughter, my granddaughter, Lydia, 11 years, has grown up with computers and online communication, unlike me.  She also took up riding a few years ago and this year, she got her first own pony because she was so excited about learning to ride better. The horseback riding was not a new activity for my daughter or her husband because they had both spent their teen age years riding their own horses and sometimes competing with them. Since Lydia had proven to them that horse-back riding is not only a passing “nice to have” hobby, she finally got her own pony.

A couple of days ago, my daughter made Lydia her own Instagram account so that she could post things for her friends about her riding stuff since so many of her friends were also interested in horses and some of them were riding too. Lydia has been taking pictures ever since she was three years old so this was no problem for her and she knew how to post them and do different things online using different programs. She actually showed me how she had learned coding.

24 hours after her account was put up, we were all blown away because there were 50 followers and two days after that there were 70 followers! I saw her write on her site that “every time she has another 50 followers she will post a video of herself jumping obstacles” and someone even commented that it is a good idea! WHAT HAPPENED??! 

How did she reach all those people, someone even from Australia, to follow and even comment!? Lydia lives in the archipelago of Finland in the middle of nowhere! She must know something I don´t!

Just this morning, she was going to publish something again and was talking to her dad about what she was going to say and post.  Her dad told her to be careful of what you are writing and not to write just anything and to think carefully about what to put out there. Sound advice, if you ask me. 

Her dad does not have a social media account of any kind and still he thinks he needs to give advice to his daughter about how and what to write on her Instagram account! It was a déjà vu for me. Just like my dad threw a wet blanket on my dream of becoming a famous rock star, he was doing the same to his daughter. Of course they both meant well but there really seems to be a huge generation gap between parents and their children.  The world is always changing and as it turns out, old advice is not always the best advice in every situation. That is the reason we must support our children to be strong and to follow their own intuition instead of doing blindly (like I did) what they are told and what they can dream about. They have their own truths and ways, of which we, the old generation have no idea about. (Never thought I would say that…). My regret is that I could have been a rock star but instead struggled many times and many years before finding another passion!

About the other dream I had, the ranch by the sea. That one happily turned out and actually it is the basis for my granddaughter to focus on her learning more and more about horseback riding and to keep horses, if she so wishes when she grows up. Somehow I feel that this is all part of a bigger picture and when looking at the world today and seeing all that is happening, I feel good that there are still people wanting to make a living off the land and are willing happily to work at it.

If you want to see what Lydia is doing in her Instagram account and want to learn her secrets of success marketing online, have a look HERE. Her mum and dad are not interfering, she is doing it herself. It will be very interesting to see where it all goes.

So, what is the key? As far as I can see, it is passion and again passion. It seems that the rest will somehow take care of itself.




Comments